Monday, November 01, 2004

Goodby, Hip Priest

John Peel R.I.P.

A few months ago at ATP I walked along the road by the beach to get something to eat in a cafe. I saw John Peel surrounded by about 5 or 6 young people, all beaming at him whilst he chatted with them in his usual avuncular manner. Part of me really wanted to join them, but I thought he might like to be be left alone, I wasn't sure what to do. I thought I was being very grown up by pretending not to notice him. Now I wish i'd spoken to him. Everyone felt like they kind of owned him, the way fans feel they own part of the bands they love. I dedicated a song to him at the London show I just did, but it felt like an inadequate gesture, and I felt compelled to say as much. But I knew everyone in the audience was thinking about him.

Well that's Radio 1 fucked then.

2 comments:

mark e said...

yup.

i saw him @ Reading'96.

Early Sunday morning, outside one of the Tents, prior to my discovery of Earl Brutus. I stood there wanting to say a big Thank You etc, but decided to respect his space as i bet he used to get that kinda thing a lot and i didn't want to upset/annoy him.

my one chance.

oh well.

who needs Radio1 in 2004 anyway ?
mark e/ireallylovemusic

Anonymous said...

The peel show helped me get through some very long days / nights in the lab. Dancehall into skiffle into techno into blues; Genius. Fulton.